Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is FOUR wire Triplex for?

On Jan 13, 11:10*am, George wrote:
On 1/13/2013 10:59 AM, dpb wrote:

On 1/13/2013 9:20 AM, wrote:

Did you read the part where he says the "neutral"
is not connected to anything? *Sounds like a support
wire to me.

Iff'en it "is not connected to anything" how can it support anything?

I'd not think that would be how OP would have written the description if
it were the support cable he was speaking of.

--

The original post mentions describes the "four wire triplex" with one
wire unconnected. "trader" introduced the idea of it being the "neutral"- Hide quoted text -

No, I didn't introduce the idea that it was the neutral.
The OP stated that in the first sentence:

"A large store downtown has a heavy FOUR wire triplex
feeding the building. 3 wires are black insulated, the other
is the bare neutral. "

Then he says:

"The thing that caught my attention to it, is that the 4th wire is
not
connected to anything. "

So he's saying he has 3 black insulated, the other is the
bare neutral. The 4th wire is not connected to anything.
I took that 4th wire to be the bare neutral. But it's not
clear what exactly he means by the 4th wire. If it's one of the 3
blacks, I would think he would just say one of the blacks
is not connected.