Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tapping into an electric circuit

On Jan 12, 4:59*pm, Douglas Johnson wrote:
" wrote:
On Jan 11, 7:02*pm, wrote:
We hear the "insurance" nonsense here all the time but it's BS. *The
worrywarts couldn't take a **** without their master's permission.- Hide quoted text -

I was thinking the same thing. *By now you'd think there would
be case after case cited here by these folks where an insurance
company denied a claim because someone did some work
incorrectly themselves. * It might be out there, but I have yet to
see it.

I once asked two independent insurance adjusters if insurers would deny such a
claim. *Neither one hesitated before saying "They'd pay."

I've been all over my homeowner's policy. *The only clause that might allow them
to deny such a claim would be if they could establish it was deliberate with the
goal of burning the house down.

Please write down the date and time. *This is an event unlikely to occur ever
again. *The three of us agreeing on something.

-- Doug

Not to spoil the moment, but I can think of one potential
line of argument to deny a claim. Typically homeowners insurance
doesn't cover criminal acts that you commit. They could
argue that the electrical circuit you added without a permit
that was done incorrectly was a violation of the law.
But I'm not sure it meets the level of a true criminal act.
And they would have to prove that it was the cause of
the loss, etc.

Claims may in fact have been denied for work that
was done incorrectly by a homeowner, without a permit,
etc., somewhere, sometime. But if it's happened, funny
that the folks that keep bringing this up don't have cases
to show us. If they do, I'd be happy to see them.