Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default DVD laser (just out of curiosity).

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message ...

"mike" wrote in message
On 1/12/2013 10:25 AM, Ian Field wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"William Sommer****** is a ****ing Ass"

Is a DVD laser orange/amber?

It's (supposedly) red. But there would be nothing wrong
using a shorter wavelength.

Utter bull****.

Wavelength is critical to reading the data from a pressed disk.

A short wavelength is needed to resolve fine detail.

** ROTFL !!

What a ****ing MORON and NUT CASE.

FYI

the pit depth on pressed disks is half a wavelength in each case.

DVD players have both IR and red lasers.

.... Phil

Indeed, Phil. And as I said in my reply to William, Blu Ray players
have a blue one as well ...

Since I almost never find CD/DVD lasers with any kind of part number,
pretty much skated over the few assorted datasheets I'd found.

I sort of only half-noticed that some of them are dual lasers.

There is an obvious danger - I could be mucking about with a DVD laser
trying to get some light out of it, unaware that the IR section is
happily lasing away!

Yep, that's the same idea as always behaving as though your gun is
loaded.

Maybe I'll keep the digital camera to hand just in case.

Maybe I won't ever own a gun.

Had an air-pistol once - I discovered that the addition of small amounts
of aeromodellers diesel could produce a fairly impressive muzzle flash.

Shortly after - the cops had words about damage in the back gardens &
backs of houses in the next street!

I hadn't actually been aiming there - firing at the garden path, the
pellets made a pretty good ricochet whine.

I had a .177 Daisy with one and a half springs in it. Sadly, much to my
parents' embarrassment, the court confiscated it, and fined me £10 after
an 'incident' ... :-\

Arfa

Mine was a Webley Senior .22 pistol - I blew the breech plate out while
experimenting with more powerful propellants.

My "incident" was an earthenware urn in the next street, it was aboit 2/3
full of soil with some kind of plant growing in it - the pellet made a tiny
entry hole just higher than the soil and a much larger exit hole below the
soil.

The owner seemed almost as impressed as angry!