Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default TV Stand Project and Cabinetry

Swingman wrote in
:

On 1/9/2013 6:22 AM, Bill wrote:
I wanted to share the drawing I did tonight with the kind folks here
who help make my progress possible, so I put it on my web site (the
earlier version is there too, just for the sake of comparison).

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Looking very good, Bill.

It's totally a matter of taste, and suit yourself, but I would put the
wider rails of your face frames on the bottom, not the top.

Also, you might want to consider making a similar base to this, with
six adjustable feet, for the TV unit to sit on:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...hopTexasTansu2
005#5669704288278669858

A base of this type would provide support for your span; make a nice
visual transition from the face frame; and would easily support six
adjustable feet (one in each corner, and two in the middle, front and
back) that would insure that the unit sits solidly on an uneven floor
without detracting from the visual aspect.

Although, this one is a bit more fancy with the curves, it gives the
appearance of having four feet, and if you do it like this, you will
only need four adjustable feet.

Here's the casework:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...hopDiningRoomH
utch2009#5663816516513022130

Here's the casework with base attached:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...hopDiningRoomH
utch2009#5663816532739249570

Here's what the base looks like from bottom side:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...hopDiningRoomH
utch2009#5663816543789641538

Here's the whole enchilada trimmed out:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...hopDiningRoomH
utch2009#5663816649603519954

Concept drawing, showing a wider unit than yours, sitting on a base
with four adjustable feet, with a whole lot more weight and longer
span to contend with:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...hopDiningRoomH
utch2009#5664536626288014658

And, so you can orbit around something completed, here's the same
model I used to collaborate with the client, who lived a few hundred
miles away, for both the design and fabrication of the dining room set
I made for her:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...8167d08ac659b0
e787f72ad393&prevstart=0

Just some more ideas to play around with.

BTW, congratulation on your modeling. You are obviously becoming quite
proficient with SketchUp and it shows, AND, as we see here, it gives
you the ability to benefit with a bit of collaboration and swapping of
ideas.

Whichever way you go, you're doing good ...

+1 for everything. Gave me the best idea yet of how to attach the
shelves of my coffeetable ...

--
Best regards
Han