Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove a circle from a circle

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 00:28:41 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 01-11-2013 15:54, wrote:
wrote:
On 01-10-2013 23:55,
wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 20:25:06 -0500, Metspitzer
The outside circle has to be undamaged. The outside circle being the
laptop itself.

Sure. Just get a drill *slightly* larger than the central hole. It
should jam in there pretty well.

The power supply plug has popped off into the laptop. I need to get
the old part out before I can re plug the new power supply.

The plug is a hollow cylinder. A drill will not bind in it, it will
just make the cylinder spin. Furthermore, penetration of a drill bit
any significant distance into the socket will damage the center pin of
the socket.

Sure it will. You've never had a drill bit catch when drilling a
larger hole? Just don't spin the drill fast enough to drill a hole.
Try to get it to snag on the sides. A little cockeyed will do it.

Of course I've had a drill bit bind when drilling into something that
tries to hold still. Never when drilling into something that weighs
half a gram and spins freely.

If it "spins freely" it's not going to drill through it. boggle
Just get it jammed in there. Should be trivial.

I would first try holding the laptop so that the socket points down, and
gently tap on it near the socket on both sides. Probably won't work but
worth a try.

The cylinder is going to want to stay in there. If it didn't it would
make connection when it was plugged in.

Do you suppose I might have had a reason for saying "Probably won't work" ?

Why even suggest it?