Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Voltage regulation wrt resistive and inductive loads...

On Jan 12, 5:48*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 17:10:58 -0500, Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

In a portable generator.

Does one type of load vs the other make it more difficult for a typical
portable generator to maintain constant voltage?
Esp at a current approaching the continuous current limit of the
generator.

I ask bec the mfr claims 1-2% regulation. *A small miller welder is
causing 12%+ variation, within the current limitations, with the voltage
variation being fairly proportional to load. *I'm assuming a transformer
load is substantially inductive?

I haven't yet tested it with purely resistive loads, cuz, well, this
would require a lot of heaters, a pita to wire up.

Depending on what's loading the transformer, a transformer load isn't
necessarily substantially inductive.

That's the egghead theory. *Unfortunately, my knowledge of welders starts
with being able to stick weld, then has this long, dark, gap, then gets
to the circuits theory that I know as an electrical engineer. *So I
couldn't tell you just what the power factor of a welder is (PF = how
"resistive" it is). *I can tell you that it probably varies with the type
of welder, what its technology is, and probably by whether it's cheap
Chinese or quality late-model 'merican.

--
Tim Wescott
Control system and signal processing consultingwww.wescottdesign.com

Looks like the Chinese have made tremendous progress when it comes to
inverter welders. This one has gotten good reviews. I have no idea how
durable it is. My guess is not great. A quick check didn't turn up any
complaints. I would not buy the 3 in 1 unit. (has plasma capabilities)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CblpZF54_uM

$500 seems like a good way to learn Arc and TIG welding to me. If
someone got two years out of it, built their skill set and then tossed
it in the trash, I think someone would be ahead of the game. Seems to
me it's an affordable little machine idea for someone who has space
issues on a tight budget and who wants to learn on the cheap.