Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Voltage regulation wrt resistive and inductive loads...

"Existential Angst" wrote:
Awl --

In a portable generator.

Does one type of load vs the other make it more difficult for a typical
portable generator to maintain constant voltage?
Esp at a current approaching the continuous current limit of the generator.

I ask bec the mfr claims 1-2% regulation. A small miller welder is causing
12%+ variation, within the current limitations, with the voltage variation
being fairly proportional to load. I'm assuming a transformer load is
substantially inductive?

I haven't yet tested it with purely resistive loads, cuz, well, this would
require a lot of heaters, a pita to wire up.

All the generator cares is how much real power it takes to spin. It's not
measuring LC, just measuring the final outcome. 1-2 % really surprises me.

Greg