Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Cable modem TV antenna experiment

On 1/12/2013 4:06 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 12:40:40 -0800, wrote:

1000 feet is gonna be more than you want to deal with.

I have 5.7GHz links that are 1.0 miles, 1.5 miles, and 3 miles. They
run a mix of Ubiquiti hardware. Zero problems with the link part of
the puzzle. In the past, I used 2.4GHz links, with bit 24dBi barbeque
dish antennas. Add some interference, and it simply didn't work.
5.7Ghz fixed that. 1000ft (1/5th of a mile) is a no brainer.

I submit that "no brainer" for you is way more than he would want
to deal with. Spending $600 to redistribute ethernet service and
netflix service in violation of TOS seems like a lot to deal with.

And, with these threads, there seems to always be a gotcha.
50 posts into the thread the OP volunteers, "There's a huge ass
metal building in the way...does that matter?"

But more importantly, how far to HIS nearest neighbor.
Maybe it's more feasible for him to steal their netflix and internet.

If he can get a wireless or wired bridge running, one of these should
be able to provide the necessary video:
http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-350

I'm just too cheap to comprehend stuff like this.
My wireless bridge is a $1 WRT54G with tomato firmware.
I expect 1000 feet would be a stretch. But I can't see more
than about 200' without running into a forest or a big ass metal pole
building.

I administer my neighbor's system. I have many ways to steal his
netflix, with or without his permission...but it puts him at risk
and it's just wrong.

For movies, you can load the movies onto a flash card and deliver
it to his tablet.

I know very few people who a willing to watch an hour or two long
movie on a tablet screen. Large screen LCD TV's are more common.
Plugging the big LCD TV into the iPad or Android tablet via an HDMI
cable works. At that point, might was well get a streaming medial
player from WD, Netgear, Roku, and others, instead, and leave the
tablet for other things.