Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_16_] Doug[_16_] is offline

Default Plumber's putty as a sealant?

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 08:57:52 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 12, 11:40*am, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 06:03:17 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Jan 12, 3:13*am, nestork wrote:
Novel8;2993987 Wrote:

I am going to install a vanity marble top with sink onto my vanity after
I take off the old, naturally. I have lots of plumber's putty which i
know i can use on the faucet drain, but could i also use it as a sealant
to my vanity?

I'm wanting to clarify a few points here.

Plumber's putty is NORMALLY used to seal between the lip and top of the
counter top on a drop-in sink. *I really don't know if the same is true
for undermount sinks, or not.

What do you do about the fact that it never hardens, is
sticky and gray? *I sure would not want it at the perimeter of my
sink,
wrong color and dirt attractant.
White sink with gray line at the bottom? *Makes no sense to me
when clear silicone or similar caulks are available and
even come in colors.

I used plumbers putty to set my current sink. *There's no gaps because
it's virtually flush with the counter. *Does take about 5 minutes of
wipe down to eliminate the excess. *But I can't see a putty line.
Since the sink is a mid-grade SS, pretty sure I would bend and ruin
the lip if I set it in silicone and had to take it out again.
Silicone acts as an adhesive.- Hide quoted text -

I've pulled plenty of things apart that used silicone and
unless you use a lot of it, it's not hard at all to seperate.
Silicone has give, the sink starts to lift, you put a
putty knife under it, etc.

Anyone can use whatever they want. But there are
plenty of pros out there using silicone.

Personally I think you are a gun crazed idiot but on this subject,
I'll have to agree with you . Most plumbers and sinks I see
now (top mounted) use silicone and I agree it's not that hard to
remove unless you use a lot or perhaps a wrong type. Another concern
is mold and I think the silicone will resist it much better where it
makes contact with water.