Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default OT - cold house

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? wrote in message
?
? Stormin Mormon wrote:
??
?? How'd you deal with the 20 degrees indoors? IIRC you said no water,
?? so that
?? makes it challenging to take a hot shower, flush the toilet, cook
?? food, make
?? coffee, and all the things men hold dear.
?
?
? Sponge bath at work, and an electric razor. Thank God that 24
? hour
? grocery and department stores were becoming common in the mid '80s

Somehow humanity survived like that for millennia, and campers and
soldiers still do today. When we were on winter field exercises we
went in once a week for a shower and laundry. In cold weather that was
enough as our skin stayed dry. Life becomes very simple when you can
ignore food spoilage and the frills of civilization.

The local Freecycle has people begging for space heaters, claiming
they can't afford to buy them. If they can't afford $20 for a heater,
how can they pay to run the damned things? One woman was complaining
that her kids couldn't stand the 65 degrees in their room. Buy a
blanket, and get on with life.