Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Plumber's putty as a sealant?

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 06:03:17 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 12, 3:13Â*am, nestork wrote:
Novel8;2993987 Wrote:

I am going to install a vanity marble top with sink onto my vanity after
I take off the old, naturally. I have lots of plumber's putty which i
know i can use on the faucet drain, but could i also use it as a sealant
to my vanity?

I'm wanting to clarify a few points here.

Plumber's putty is NORMALLY used to seal between the lip and top of the
counter top on a drop-in sink. Â*I really don't know if the same is true
for undermount sinks, or not.

What do you do about the fact that it never hardens, is
sticky and gray? I sure would not want it at the perimeter of my
sink,
wrong color and dirt attractant.
White sink with gray line at the bottom? Makes no sense to me
when clear silicone or similar caulks are available and
even come in colors.

I used plumbers putty to set my current sink. There's no gaps because
it's virtually flush with the counter. Does take about 5 minutes of
wipe down to eliminate the excess. But I can't see a putty line.
Since the sink is a mid-grade SS, pretty sure I would bend and ruin
the lip if I set it in silicone and had to take it out again.
Silicone acts as an adhesive.