Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_6_] Graham.[_6_] is offline

Default Soldering flexible cord (headphones)

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 16:06:52 +0000, Rick Hughes
wrote:

I have a pair of quite expensive (well by my reckoning) Bose noise
Cancelling Headphones.

The 3.5mm 3 pole stereo plug needs replacing - intermittent contact of
one core.

Bought a quality gold plated right angle plug, which comes with neat
stress relief bushes.

The issue is the flexible cord itself .... it is a thin very flexible
item ... the cores once exposed are not individually sheathed in pvc ...
but what seems like a woven sheath thst just frays if you try to strip
with a knife.

The overall diam of cable is 1.9mm
The diam of each insulated core is 0.39mm

If that helps give an idea of cable type ...I have taken a pic:
http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/x...psaac86758.jpg

Is there a particular technique to soldering these ...... the issue is
stripping the cores, it just seems to fray and get in a mess.

Don loads of cable soldering in the past ... but prepping the ends on
this cable is proving difficult

It's tinsel wire and is very difficult to deal with.
What I do is to try to tin it with the iron anf hopefully melt the
insulation, then find the finest strand of copper wire you can get
your hands on and wind it around the end then apply a little mote
solder on order to make a sort of bootlace ferrule.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%