Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes[_5_] Rick Hughes[_5_] is offline

Default Soldering flexible cord (headphones)

I have a pair of quite expensive (well by my reckoning) Bose noise
Cancelling Headphones.

The 3.5mm 3 pole stereo plug needs replacing - intermittent contact of
one core.

Bought a quality gold plated right angle plug, which comes with neat
stress relief bushes.

The issue is the flexible cord itself .... it is a thin very flexible
item ... the cores once exposed are not individually sheathed in pvc ...
but what seems like a woven sheath thst just frays if you try to strip
with a knife.

The overall diam of cable is 1.9mm
The diam of each insulated core is 0.39mm

If that helps give an idea of cable type ...I have taken a pic:
http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/x...psaac86758.jpg

Is there a particular technique to soldering these ...... the issue is
stripping the cores, it just seems to fray and get in a mess.

Don loads of cable soldering in the past ... but prepping the ends on
this cable is proving difficult