Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold & Susan Vordos Harold & Susan Vordos is offline

Default Splitter

Hey guys!
We live in an area with little television reception. I've avoided paying
for a dish, as I don't watch all that much TV. We get a PBS station, along
with one of the Fox network stations. Good enough for us, as we get news and
some interesting scientific shows.

Ok, now my question. I have a splitter in a room that is not heated. As
weather turned colder, I started getting a lot of blue screen on the TV.
The colder it got, the worse the reception, until it got to the point where
the TV was off more than it was on. About a week ago, I lit the boiler
in the room where the splitter resides. Suddenly, great reception. When
the room cooled off, after turning off the boiler, it was back to blue
screen once again. Heated the splitter and got service back. When it
cooled down, it was, once again, lost. Replaced the old splitter with a
new one, which improved reception, but did not eliminate the problem.
Finally hung a small light bulb near the splitter, which I figured would
keep it warm. Sure enough, we now have great (albeit limited) reception
once again.

Anyone care to offer a reason for poor performance when a splitter cools off
too much? I would suggest that it was in the 40 degree range, not
freezing. Why would it cooling off make a difference? I fully expected
that it wouldn't be temperature sensitive.

Harold