Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default DVD laser (just out of curiosity).

On 1/11/2013 10:11 AM, Ian Field wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
On 1/10/2013 1:41 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Is a DVD laser orange/amber?

Someone tossed an old DVD player in the bins at the flats, so I decided
to investigate its salvage potential, the laser is a proper-job TO18
style pressed into a block of aluminium - seems a bit extravegant since
it was only a player, not a recorder.

There's some websites out there demonstrating lighting matches & burning
holes through paper with a DVD laser, but I presume they're using a
recorder laser for that much power.

Before I start waving the soldering iron at it - can anyone suggest a
"ball-park figure" for laseing current?

Thanks.

Just a quick reminder not to do anything stupid.
Those yellow stickers are on there for a reason.

Reminds me of a sign on the wall at the laser lab....

Caution! Do not look into laser with remaining good eye...

Apparently green lasers are worst - maximum absorbtion by hemoglobin.

I'd argue with that as a practical matter...assuming your intent is to
avoid blindness.
People tend to stare longer at invisible lasers than ones that seem
damagingly bright to them. By the time you perceive the effects of
an invisible laser, it's too late.