Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Nat gas pressure drop vs. pipe length

On Jan 11, 9:03*am, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

The Maytag's motor requires at least 25A to start. Once running it
draws between 500W and 800W. 3750W should be enough, 31A at 120V,
but
the motor needs its high starting current longer than the generator
can provide it unless I push the motor slide in with my toe to
loosen
the drive belt. ...
jsw

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Did you actually try the 3750 on the washing machine?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about posting protocol

Try rereading what I wrote.

I had to stop the wash cycle before it ended and tried to start up on
spin. Instead I advanced the timer to the final spin cycle so it would
empty the tub and then stop completely when finished. Then I rinsed
the soap out manually with a hose and reran the final spin cycle.
jsw

I can confirm that experience. Neighbor had a 4500W and the
one load it would not run was the washing machine. It could
handle two modern gas furnaces, 5 fridge/freezers, lights, etc
all at the same time, but not the washing machine. Personally,
I would not even attempt it. Doesn't make a lot of sense to
me to push a generator during an outage when you need it
for furnace, freezers, lights, etc. Seems you should be able
to get by for a week or so without running a wash. And if
you lose the generator you're really screwed.

Also, a big problem with these generators is unless you pay
a lot for say a Honda or Yamaha, you don't know what you got.
The typical ones are made from a variety of Chinese engines
and Chinese generators, with just sheet metal and paint
distinguishing them. They go for mabye $700 for a 5KW.
On the other hand, you could pay $4000 for a Honda with
less output. It comes down to price vs reliability, how
essential it is to you, etc. Best low end strategy is
probably to buy a Briggs and Stratton or Troybilt. Even
though I believe they are still made in China or use
major Chinese components, you have a brand name
company which hopefully means somebody is watching
the quality at least a bit.....

And for washing machines there are other options. During
Sandy, Tide was set up here in NJ at Lowes with a tractor
trailer full of washing machines where you could do your wash.
Apparently they go to disaster areas like this to provide the
service.