Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Double bass transducer problem

Gareth Magennis wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

What is the likely cause of this problem.
Just as well I keep repair records as I met this amp 5 years ago with the
same untraceable fault. Owner and me had forgotten it re-appeared when he
used the bass with a different bass amp.
Previously reported as a fuzzy sound when he used the bass E string. This
time just playing the F on the bass E string , a rattly buzz, like a

spiral
wound guitar string vibrating against a fret and loss of the actual F

note.
I've not seen the bass or transducer , assuming its a piezo element - make
Ashworth transducers, what could cause this symptom, disappearing for 4
years? Both bass and amp have been around the world a few times on cruise
ships so perhaps excessive heat or humidity

I would imagine the piezo pickup is not securely attached to the body.
This would no doubt cause it to rattle at a resonant frequency determined

by
its mass and the properties of whatever fixing arrangement is partly (and
long term intermittently) securing it to the Bass.

Or alternatively, the pickup might be insecurely contained within some

sort
of housing, and the rattling is the pickup in such a housing.

Or more alternatively, there is a battery powered pre-amp installed

between
pickup and outside world. When the battery runs down, you can get all

sorts
of weird stuff happening that you wouldn't immediately associate with a

flat
battery.

Gareth.

I'll ask about battery, my only experience with piezo was a violin
transducer and no battery with that one