RKON

Default Rant: Mini Max and Laguna

Thanks Charlie, I actually have read many of your posts from the past on
this subject and I really got some good info. I do have a question that I
was going to ping you on at one point. Since you asked.

The LT16SEC which you purchased from Laguna was manufactured by Meber. The
Sales Rep from MM was proud to point out that the S16
(http://www.minimax-usa.com/specials.html)is the same saw manufactured by
Meber with a better finish on the table and cast iron trunions. Does it
have a rack and pinion blade guide? if so, where is it in relation to the
roller guides?

One other thing I saw in your posts was that you wish the table had tilted
more for cutting dovetails. Do you cut your dove tails with your bandsaw?

Laguna has some nice specials this month and MM is going to have to do
better. The MM16 is $2500 with shipping and mobility and the LT16HD is $2295
including shipping, mobility, and 3 blades. Just for kicks I contacted a
local dealer who carries Agazzani's and has a 20" for $2995. LOL...

I remember reading a post from someone saying that you would drive yourself
nuts trying to figure out what tools to buy. Well, I am half way to the
insane asylum.

From a Jan 22, 2004 Post to rec.woodworking

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...om.com&rnum=19

Steve M wrote: 3. Of what benefit is a rack and pinion blade guide?

Charlie B wrote: " A GOOD rack and pinion "blade guide" means not having to
tweek your
blade guides every time you raise or lower the blade guide + guard.
If it doesn't move up and down while remaining square to the table
you start cutting trapezoids and not rectangles. Tapered veneer is
not good."

"charlie b" wrote in message
Rich:

I've got the LT16SEC, have had it for a few years and have
used it for everthing from slicing up mini-logs& resawing
to cutting dovetails - at least the tails. Do you have
specific questions or want a specs sheet and/or video,
the latter to inspire its use once you get whichever
bandsaw you end up buying?

At Mini-Max, try and reach Jim Strain - he'll get you
what you are looking for - AND definitely try to get
you to commit to purchasing a Mini-Max, especially
if you mention that you're looking at the LTs as well
(he and several others at MiniMax use to be at LT).
Both MM and LT have pretty good mark ups on their
BS so a) don't bite when they tell you "The price is
going up next month but if you act now ...." and b)
negotiate - free blades, mobility kit, shipping,
guides upgrade .... AND make sure that they check
the table for flatness BEFORE they ship you a unit
whose table is saggy and/or twisted - that MM AND
LT - I've heard from new owners of both.

And don't think you have to have a 1 inch or 1 1/2"
blade to cut up minilogs or to do resawing. A half
inch 3 teeth per inch hooked blade - WoodSlicer
or TimberWolf, will do both quite nicely - with
a lot less bogging down and heat.

Here's info on my LT16SEC

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/BandSaw.html
And here's the info on making your own larger table and
resaw fence
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/Resawing1.html

This should give you enough info to make your new
table and resaw fence

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...leDetails.html

If I can be of further help please feel free to ask away.

charlie belden
san jose, ca