Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default DVD laser (just out of curiosity).

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Is a DVD laser orange/amber?

It's (supposedly) red. But there would be nothing wrong using a shorter
wavelength.

Someone on ABSE once told me the wavelength, when I looked it up on a chart
it came out as amber-ish or thereabouts.

Apparently the IR long wavelength is the limiting factor for data density on
a CD - I'd expect somewhere more in the general direction of orange than
visible red for DVD, but as yet I've never fired up a DVD or CD laser.

This is the first optical drive laser I've recued that actually had proper
encapsulation.