Charlie Self

Default "Flashed" oak

Swingman writes:

only ones I can think of are MLK and Veteran's Days - and the later may
be slipping into the muck.

Yep ... it seems that somehow my daughters have the idea that they must give
me flowers on Veteran's Day now. Where on earth that came from ... never
mind, I can guess.

Oh, lord. Please, no.

Wasn't/isn't Valentines Day a religious celebration, besides being the
epitome of a "marketing gimmick"?

Yeah, but I think the major observation that we have today is all marketing.
Same with Halloween. When I was a wee bit younger, Halloween was an evening
when you wore burnt cork on your face and old sheets on your body, with ribs
drawn with cork. Made a helluva fine ghost. Now, costumes cost the earth, and
every parent fears razor blades in apples and worse in candies.

Charlie Self
"In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence
is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of
office." Ambrose Bierce