Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy333 Randy333 is offline

Default Spiral Point, Forming, Spiral Flute

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:28:30 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Does a spiral point tap (assume both are sharp) cut as easy as a spiral
flute tap?

Most S.P. taps are plug style, while most S.F. taps are bottom or
semi-bottom style. I find S.F. taps take a little more power because
of this. I usually don't like using S.F. taps because of this,
especially in harder materials, Maybe because I'm still little old
school and was taught to only use a bottom tap to finish holes that
were already tapped close to bottom. Just scares me to run a bottom
tap into a peice of steel under power.

I never used a forming tap in anything other than aluminum, what is
the hardness of the brass. Maybe it's just not malleable enough?

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy