Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Clean/repair stained porcelain sink?

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Our porcelain-enamel kitchen sink has developed stains, especially
where the plastic "feet" of a "sink protector" have rested. I think
that stuff that has been dropped into the sink and not rinsed away
immediately has caught on those "feet" and remained there long enough
to stain the surface. I have cleaned the sink from time to time with
Soft-Scrub, but hat no longer seems effective, and now I find that
the stained areas actually feel rougher than the unstained areas.

Any suggestions how to fix this problem?

Depends on what the stais are. Scrubbing...bleaching...etc

Any way to seal the surface?

If it is truly porcelain then the surface was made by heating the cast iron
(or stamped steel) then covering it with materials that will fuse (melt).
You wind up with the same sort of surface as you do on tile; essentially,
glass. I know of no practical way to repair it, about the best you could do
would be to use colored epoxy (best) or polyurethane.

If it is rough because you used something too abrasive to clean it and
scratched it in the process but did not cut through it, you could alleviate
it via finer & finer silicon carbide paper. When you get as fine as you can
go with that, you can use the very fine aluminum oxide stuff that is used to
polish plastic. Comes (usually) in a liguid medium, found at auto parts
stores. There are other polishing materials too; you need something harder
than glass (moh's 7) and finer than the finest wet or dry paper which is
usually availble up to 2000 or 2500. The finer the grit the shinier the
surface.

--

dadiOH