Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default Extending CAT5 cable

On Jan 7, 4:13*pm, klem kedidelhopper
wrote:
We need to run video over some existing CAT5 cables using baluns on
either end. The existing cables are all terminated with jacks on both
ends. One end is a patch panel and on the other end they are connected
to jacks which are mounted on the baseboards. We plan to make 8 foot
cables with an RJ 45 on one end, plug it into the baseboard jack, run
the cable up the wall and then connect the other end to the balun and
then to the camera. Would it matter if this short piece of cable were
CAT3? Thanks, Lenny

The main problem is driving and terminating the CAT cable at the
correct impedance. Improperly terminated cable for video make for some
poor video but it depends on your needs/demands. What I think is bad
may be more than sufficient for you - or not.