Posted to sci.electronics.repair
klem kedidelhopper klem kedidelhopper is offline

Default Extending CAT5 cable

On Jan 8, 10:49*pm, klem kedidelhopper
wrote:
On Jan 8, 1:40*pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:

klem kedidelhopper wrote:
We need to run video over some existing CAT5 cables using baluns on
either end. The existing cables are all terminated with jacks on both
ends. One end is a patch panel and on the other end they are connected
to jacks which are mounted on the baseboards. We plan to make 8 foot
cables with an RJ 45 on one end, plug it into the baseboard jack, run
the cable up the wall and then connect the other end to the balun and
then to the camera. Would it matter if this short piece of cable were
CAT3? Thanks, Lenny

why would you use cat3? Also where do you even get cat3 unless you're a
copper thief these days?

I'd use silver satin, or some 1980s 50 foot coiled kitche telephone cords,
with a handset swivel thingy on it, with nothing but the finest and most
reasonably priced rj11 to rj45 adapters from Black Box.

Well the obvious reason to use CAT 3 is because as a former telephone
systems contractor I happen to have a **** load of it and I didn't
want to have to buy any additional CAT 5 at this time. Was that so
difficult to figure out? Most people that visit this group are not
thieves, nor are they idiots. So don't act like one. You have no
audience. We ask questions because we're looking for some advice from
someone more knowledgeable than ourselves. And personally I really
appreciate it when I get assistance with a problem. So if you really
need to be a smart ass, please don't bother responding to my posts.
Lenny

I just thought of something else. If CAT3 is spec'd out to 16MHZ and a
typical NTSC TV channel was 6MHZ wide with 250KHZ guard bands on
either end why would CAT3 cause any problems in a video application?
It seems to exceed the requirements for TV video. Lenny