Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Shooting, quick kill, point shooting

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 21:47:27 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

I've been reading some of the PDF I've downloaded, one was on Quick Kill
training from 1967 armed forces training. Basically they used a BB gun
without sights to teach soldiers to point and shoot a metal disc thrown in
the air, they'd start with a 3-1/2" disk and after the soldier was able to
hit 8 out of 10 times, they'd switch to a 2-1/2" disc. It said they used a
BB gun at first because the soldier could see the BB and it helped him learn
to hit the target. I read where people that practiced a lot could tape over
the center of a washer then shoot through the tape, some could throw up an
aspirin and shoot it with a BB. After they got good at it with the BB gun,
they'd switch to their military rifle, sights taped up, and start over
learning to shoot the larger disc then the smaller disc.

I saw on a fishing show once a guy fishing carried a small 22 rifle. They
showed what he could do with it, the other guy would cast his lure and the
man with the 22 could shoot the lure in the air before it hit the water.

A guy at work was telling me about someone he rode with at times, the guy
kept a BB pistol in his auto and would practice shooting road signs while
driving down the road. He said the guy could hit even the small signs
reliably.

Sounds like the BB gun practice could be useful but I figure you'd have to
practice with your regular firearms too. ... considering the price of ammo
and not wanting to use up too much of my supply...

Anyone here practice shooting using BB, airsoft or paintball guns?

If the Democrats are going to start Civil War II I figure we need to
practice since ammo is getting expensive and there are millions of
Democrats:-) Sorry, just had to throw that in there!

RogerN

BB guns do offer some good eye/hand coordination practice. Airsoft
and paintball are a bit pricey for the amount of shooting you will
need to be doing.

the old Marksman bb pistol was pretty good and this one is better

http://www.amazon.com/Daisy-Outdoor-...m_cr_pr_sims_t

This one is pretty good too

http://www.amazon.com/Beeman-Repeate...ef=pd_sbs_sg_3

Keep em oiled and use em regularly.

They are not very powerful. You cant break a beer bottle with one
generally and you might..might punch a dent in an aluminum beer can a
close range..but that makes they pretty good for practice.
Particularly with paper targets

Gunner

1. Lie