Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Who puts nickels on their gun barrels?

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 23:41:24 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 18:55:04 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 02:33:46 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Can oil be that big of an issue if every rack and/or safe is primarily set
up for butt down?

I don't think so, myself. My guns are NOT dripping with oil.

There is a discussion on
http://www.theguncounter.com/forum/v...php?f=6&t=8597

This was one post that made sense

One thing to think about is oil contamination of the stock.
I've fixed way too many Marlin, Winchester's and Savage leverguns as
well as numerous bolt guns that were oil soaked behind the action and
were setting back cracking the stock.

I prefer to muzzle down my long term storage items, the short term
ones are normally synthetic stocked anyways so it doesn't matter with
them.

"Fine" stocked rifles get muzzle down regardless. Good wood is too
nice to wreck with oil.

I was an armory officer. Keeping inventory, and all things related.

I never had a oil problems being excessive. All my 870 Remingtons sat
butt down. Rotated for each shift. Inspected for the next rotation of
shifts. Not even a problems with the Colt pistols...