Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default OT - Who puts nickels on their gun barrels?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
I was just talking to a co-worker, who happens to be a hunter, so she
knows a bit about guns. She said that when she was young she used to
mess with her brother by "moving his nickels".

When I looked at her quizzically, she said that he used to put
knickels on the top of his gun barrels to prevent the dust from going
down the barrels. When I asked her if that was a normal thing that gun
owners do, she said he was the only one she knew of that did it.

Has anybody heard of that practice before?

In my gun cabinet, they would fall off, or with any nudge at all. What good
would that be unless you were leaving your gun outside, anyway?

I've never heard of it before, and unless you have dripping water, useless.
Dust is kept out of guns by keeping them in good cabinets. A good gun gets
a cabinet or case to rest in. The military has protectors, some used in
storage conditions, some in combat conditions. An old military AND hunting
tip is to keep a condom on the end of the barrel with a rubber band. Able
to be fired through easily, and will keep rain out of the barrel.

Nickels? Not practical.

Steve