Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default O.T. Well, I just had to laugh ...

On Jan 8, 7:03*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 07:10:23 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave wrote:
That .. Ought to be part of the driving test. A simple job that every
driver, unless of course physically disabled from doing so, should
have that competency......

I can't agree with that, far too risky to have someone try to replace a
car wheel perhaps 5 years after they've past their test, and onn a
differnt car fromn their test car.

Less risky than someone passing their test at 17 and not having any
further questions asked about their competancy to drive until they are
70? And during those 53 years be able to hop skip and jump between any
number of vehicles, vehicles from 600cc 0-60 in 30 minuets to 6000cc 0-60
in 3 seconds...

I thought the modern test did include some very basic maintenace like
where the washer fluid filler is, checking bulbs and tyre wear/damage. I
passed my test 36 years ago, maintenance wasn't part of the test back
then.

--

Funnily enough I picked up an AA book about the driving test/highway
code from the library yesterday.

The new "theory test" has nothing about the mechanics of cars, not
even the spare wheel.

Mostly about imaginary situations/(potential) hazards you might
encounter and the highway code. There's a bit about what the various
red lights on the dashboard mean..