Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Who puts nickels on their gun barrels?

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 18:37:30 -0500, Frank
wrote:

On 1/8/2013 6:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 8, 5:53 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 14:26:03 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

wrote:
I was just talking to a co-worker, who happens to be a hunter, so she
knows a bit about guns. She said that when she was young she used to
mess with her brother by "moving his nickels".

When I looked at her quizzically, she said that he used to put
knickels on the top of his gun barrels to prevent the dust from going
down the barrels. When I asked her if that was a normal thing that gun
owners do, she said he was the only one she knew of that did it.

Has anybody heard of that practice before?

No, but when I was young I put corks in the gun barrels. There was a
handy string on them so they didn't get lost, too.

Were the corks there specifically for dust protection?

Sounds like a a pop gun?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_gun

Aw, shucks. You had to go spoil the fun.