Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default more of why I can't use my name

-MIKE- wrote in
:

On 1/8/13 4:26 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in
:

On 1/8/13 6:07 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in news:kcg3td$gmh$1

@speranza.aioe.org:

It's so funny to see employers try to word their bull****
with legalize to try to make sound all official and legal. A
lot of it is not. An "extension of the workplace?" What
complete bull****. They can say what they want, it doesn't
make it legal and it's doesn't supersede your 1st amendment
rights.

The First Amendment constrains the government, not the
private sector, and it is *not* a violation of the employee's
First Amendment rights for a *private* employer to muzzle (or
attempt to) the employee's speech, whether in or out of the
workplace.

I believe you are mistaken. There are private companies in the
Detroit who have been taken to court and order to provide
breaks and rooms with eastward facing windows to allow their
Muslim employees time and place to practice their first
amendment rights.

I hadn't heard about that (and I can't imagine that it would
hold up on appeal).

Got a cite?

No I don't, it was an article a few years ago. There's all kinds
of that stuff going on in Michigan. Huge Muslim population up
there.

In any case, do you think if a private employer told a Jewish
man he couldn't wear a yamaka to work, they wouldn't get their
butts sued?

*yarmulke

Yes, the employer would probably get sued. It's not clear who
would win the case.