Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default more of why I can't use my name

Keith Nuttle writes:
On 1/8/2013 1:23 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/8/2013 12:10 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/8/2013 10:36 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
If you post information on line, you may be unknown to the casual user,
but if someone is determined to know who you are they will learn who you
are.

Absolutely ... in the "Internet Age", once you hit the send button it
will be available to those with the resources in perpetuity, or as long
as that is.

Yes, but again, my name is not attached, therefore I can't bring harm to
the company directly, or indirectly, as it was an anonymous post. Or
almost. Any perceived breach is just that percieved and not real.

Several people have told you that your name does not have to be
attached. Have you ever looked at the expanded header of your email.
There is a wealth of information that one could use to track you to the
very computer you used to post the message.

This is the software you are using with your last post:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/17.0 Thunderbird/17.0

The NNTP-Posting-Host: header is much more interesting:

$ host 76.6.47.27
27.47.6.76.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer nj-76-6-47-27.dhcp.embarqhsd.net.

So Jeff appears to be posting from a CenturyLink address in New Jersey, USA.

From the X-Trace header, the giganews poster ID can be derived (albeit not
without help at giganews, unless they've used a trival obfuscation means)

The IP address is sufficient (with ISP help) to determine the ICBM address
at which the post originated.