Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Home shop machining

On Jan 8, 3:49*pm, Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 14:38:05 -0800, "anorton"

wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message

Cydrome Leader wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
I think this guy has the right idea trying to get home shop machinists
to pay more for better Chinese machine tools:

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/default.php

I've used them quite a few times, they have a nice selection on US made
stuff. I wanted a insert from ar warner they didn't carry so they got
some
and added it to their product list.

They're good folks.

On the Chinese machine tools end, the Seig folks who make the mini mills
and mini lathes are good folks as well. Their products are quite good
for the money and size, and they respond to email questions promptly.
Important to remember that there are some good Chinese companies that
care about their products, and not lump them all in a "cheap junk"
category.

I would modify that statement a bit. I bought a Sieg mini-lathe and minimill
a few years ago and both came with numerous assembly and Q.C issues that I
had to straighten out before using. The mill was a Grizzly brand and it did
have fewer issues than the Pro-Tech brand lathe I had bought earlier. That
said, they are an OK value for the money. I bought them mainly because I
could fit both on one bench in my small shop. *I would have paid a little
more for better quality.

I think most Chinese factories can produce high quality, but whether they do
depends on the expectations and inspection processes of their customer's who
resell the product.

Little Machine Shop is a good place and I have bought some Chinese-made
tooling there that was fine.

The Chinese can and DO make quite good machines..when one is talking
about Industrial quality machines. * Many many US branded machines are
now made in China, including Bridgeport.

However..that is the result of supervison by the home company, the
selling price and a host of other differences from "hobby" machines

Gunner

1. Lie

Thank you, Captain Obvious.