Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveW[_2_] SteveW[_2_] is offline

Default O.T. Well, I just had to laugh ...

On 07/01/2013 09:32, Brian Gaff wrote:
When did you go to school though. My education was in the fifties and 60s.
We did science properly when you really could burn yourself and blow up the
labs..
Brian

We had plenty of explosions, fires and on one memorable occasion a
lesson in the Junior Chemistry Lab, which was connected to the Advanced
Chemistry Lab by the Prep Room - the upper sixth were doing a
distillation in the other lab ... of tear gas!!!

We also had physics lessons where one pupil would be working on a water
experiment right next to someone using a cathode ray tube, connected to
(IIRC) 3500V, using reversed banana plugs, pushed onto the protuding
pins of the tube.

We also got to do proper woodwork, metalwork and machining - making our
own patterns, moulds, castings and then machining them on lathes,
millers, shapers and surface grinders.

SteveW