Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default How to cut into existing sprinkler pipe

On 1/8/2013 11:22 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 07:32:50 -0800 (PST), DD_BobK
wrote:

On Jan 8, 3:59 am, Robert wrote:
On Jan 8, 2:38 am, wrote:

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 21:29:19 -0800 (PST), DD_BobK
wrote:

On Jan 7, 12:00 am, "walter" wrote:
I am extending my sprinkler system. I can do it by tapping into an existing
underground circuit of 3/4" PVC pipe.

All I need to do is insert a PVC T into the existing pipe. I can cut the old
pipe, but how can I insert a T in this space between the immovable ends of
the cut pipe.

Is there a special Tee that can be slipped in there?

Thank you

Walter
--www.rationality.net

Walter-

Forget all the complicated / hard work suggestions offered so far.....

use a glue on snap Tee, they work!

http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?pr...-Snap-Pressure

That's the first time I've seen those. That's a great idea. That would
be easy. Just make sure the pipe is cleaned real well before gluing.

Neat !! Looks to me like a few minutes with an ordinary
hacksaw can make one of those out of a conventional T.....

I'd probably put two band clamps , one on each end, in
addition to gluing, but I might just be overcautions.....

I'd hesitate before using it with primary water lines, but wouldn't
worry about it in a sprinkler system.... What'll those
Meskins think of next ???? :))))

There are "pressure rated" snap Tees & non-pressure rated ones.

I only buy & use the pressure rated ones.
I've never used them on supply lines, only on sprinkler lines.

The snap Tees I linked to snap over the pipe for a "more than 180
degree" fit.
Keep your fingers & skin on your hand out of the way.... they can
pinch.
No need for secondary clamps.

I've made test assemblies & pressure tested to 110 psi (water pressure
at work) ... they held!

Using snap Tees to add a sprinkler head or tie into a sprinkler line
makes a messy / time consuming job a breeze.

Toro makes them & Home Depot (in SoCal) used to carry generic ones.
The Toro ones at Ace Hardware are ridiculously expensive.
The ones on line are so cheap that I use them exclusively to lay out
new sprinkler circuits.
I just place & glue up the pipe and come back after the fact placing
the snap Tees.

The only potential problem is drilling out the pipe wall.
I use a collar stop on the drill bit to avoid damaging the pipe wall
opposite the snap Tee.

cheers
Bob

I was thinking about putting a stop on the drill bit too. It would be
too easy to drill out the other side.....

I dont know if cutting a regular tee would work, I kind of think these
are made to expand, the regular ones would probably crack.

If I ever have to add to a 3" or 4" PVC sewer stack again, I will
definately keep this in mind. In the past I've fought with them to try
to force a tee in the pipe, which meant attempting to lift the whole
stack, and in most cases just did not work. That meant using fernco
couplers instead. I guess my only concern about using these on large
diameter pipe like that would be what kind of drill bit to use. You
cant just make a 2 inch hole if it's for a toilet. The only thing I can
think of, is to cut the hole first, with a saw.

hole saw