Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

Default What do you call it

On Jan 8, 11:21*am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
On 1/8/2013 12:18 PM, Frank wrote:

On 1/7/2013 11:41 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
Doug * wrote in
:

Someone else's post made me think of this of which I completely forgot
about. *When I was a kid living on Long Island, my dad installed a
Dutch door as our rear door along with a storm door. *I've never seen
this type door since and I've seen a lot of homes. * Has anyone else
seen this type door and where? * I was wondering if its common in NY
or such area.

Last I was too young to really think about it then but I wonder now
why he or anyone for that matter might want this type door? *I'm
guessing since I never saw one again, they aren't practical. *Correct?

Those doors are rather common in older houses and farm builings
in the Netherlands.
Go see some in Volendam.
My house had one when I was 0-5 years old.
In google go into picture mode, and tell google to show dutch doors.
See hundreds of them.
And they are practical.
You can talk to someone without opening th lower part, and stop
them from walking into the house.
You can also lean on the lower part while talking.
Mostly done by talkative wimenfolk.

It seems to me to be practical for a farm house since you can open the
top half for ventilation and the view while keeping goats from walking
into the kitchen. ^_^

TDD

or letting your pigs escape

Piglets silly, full grown hogs would knock it open. ^_^

TDD- Hide quoted text -

We had one installed at our office building for our stockroom. We put
a 1x6 board flat on the bottom door. The person running the stockroom
could open the top half to assist people and use the bottom half as a
small area to write on.
It worked out pretty good. It probably wouldn't keep someone from
climbing over if they really wanted to, but it kept people normally
out of the stockroom.