Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default O.T. Well, I just had to laugh ...

On 08/01/2013 19:11, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 07:44:30 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave wrote:

WTF is a spare wheel?

A useful thing cars used to have...

But just how useful, sure on cars where it was needed but on todays
cars.

Punctures are rare but I don't think they are any less frequent now than
they were.

So what do you do when you get a puncture miles from anywhere with no
mobile telephone signal?

Same thing I'd do if I ran out of petrol or the engine blew up or
anything else went wrong I couldn't fix.
Not that I drive but I do believe there are services out there that
chareg an anual fee to do that sort of thing.

No spare, can't tow. Have to pick it up onto low loader and take it to
somewhere that can fit a new tyre (at 3AM on a Sunday morning?). You're
looking at several hours delay from when you start the ball rolling. No
mobile signal, miles from anywhere you might have a hour or twos walk
first...

Have spare and know how to change a wheel, 10 to 20 minuets later you are
on your way again.

Last puncture (more like a complete shredding) was on a *very* steep
hill, an extremely narrow road, and nowhere an ordinary jack could be
located (ground unsuitable and car too heavy to move). So having a spare
wheel only became useful when a recovery service came out with a
suitable jack. 10 or 20 minutes was actually more like an hour or two.

--
Rod