patriarch

Default wood storage dilemma

"Mike in Mystic" wrote in
:

I forgot to mention that there is no room in the house for the piano.
SWMBO thinks we MAY put an addition on the house in maybe 5 years!
So, yes, you guessed it, she thinks the piano will be just fine
sitting in the garage for that long before restoring it. As most of
you know better than I, there's no reasoning with a woman. None at
all.

Amen to the reasoning with her comment. But that's another topic...

More on topic is the storage of the piano in an environment where the
temperature and the humidity can vary widely. Before you invest too
heavily in restoration, room additions or, more important to the current
discussions, storage space in the shop, I'd invest in a visit from a
competent piano tuner/technician.

The one we have charges maybe $100 to come and visit, tune and advise on
the state of our instrument. He's quite helpful, and everything always
sounds better after he's been here (generally annually), for maybe the last
25 years.

Check with a college, or community orchestra or similar for a
recommendation, and get the piece evaluated. The outcome will likely be
either more effort and expense in the short run, or much less effort and
expense in the long run.

Or, you may be dealing with, as one of my sisters puts it, "purely
sedimental value".

Patriarch