Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O.T. Well, I just had to laugh ...

On Tuesday 08 January 2013 07:46 harry wrote in uk.d-i-y:

You don't see kids playing with Meccano sets any more.

Just been treading up on it. Typical.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meccano

Parents don't encourage them...

http://www.sciencetoys.co.uk/Motors-...s-Science-Kit-
technology/dp/B007WDGZF2?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic& utm_source=froogle

I got that ^^ for my 7 year old lad for Xmas. It's basic, but very well
made. I lent him a multimeter, another motor and a bunch of LEDs to add in
and try stuff.

He found the Red-Green (reverse wired pair) LED and noticed that when he
turned the handle one way, it lit of Green and the otherway, Red.

So I got him to swap the magents on the motor (they are coded red and blue
and are external - clever!). He was highly interested to note what happened.

I'm losing the daughter to art - but I did get her to help unpack a laser
printer last night, looking for all the shipping tape and orange thingies to
pull off. Every bit helps stave off the curse of helplessness...

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."