Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default O.T. Well, I just had to laugh ...

tony sayer wrote:

Now this is a good point. A TV of say 1960 or even earlier had pretty
straightforward circuitry so much so that I managed to convert a 1960's
era 405 line set to 625 lines and it worked very well.

Course these days a few chipset's and well, what can you do with
those?...

Back in CRT days, my set started to misbehave. More in hope than
expectation, I checked with a multimeter that power was getting
through the double pole mechanical main switch (since this was
about as far as I was comfortable dabbling.

As it happened, one pole of the switch was high resistance. I
simply wired round the offending pole, and it survived until I
replaced the set.

BTW, for the sake of clarity, I don't recommend repairing this
way, as it reduces the safety of the installation.

Whilst making the repair I had to invert the set to reach the
fault, rectify and check it worked. On righting it I discovered
the error of my ways - it took a few restarts to get it properly
degaussed ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK