Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default O.T. Well, I just had to laugh ...

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:
Hmm, well, I liked Tandy I have to say, Unlike Maplin they had people who
know their stuff and they also sold hi fi that was pretty good, if a
little
flambouyant at times. all made to a high standard and by companies you
had
heard of, though rebadged as realistic.

Tandy were rather too keen on selling a single diode in an A6 blisterpack
and asking a quid for it. I used to go in for the purpose of laughing at
the prices. Which isn't too far different from the way Maplin is today,
in
fact.

Theo

Tandy also did some 'interesting' packs at very reasonable prices. When LEDs
were first around, I bought a pack of assorted ones from the local Tandy
store, and in among them were several different types of 7 segment LEDs,
which at the time were like magic devices. A couple of them were obviously
surplus stock from a calculator manufacturer, as they were blocks of four,
with little lenses as part of the package. I also bought my first digital
clock from them. It was just a module, to which you had to add your own
power supply, wiring, and switches. I grafted it into a plate of aluminium,
and it sat by my bed - and even after I got married - for years. Strobe
tubes were another interesting item. I also still have the 12 volt mini
drill kit that I bought from them. It's in a blue plastic carry case, and
the drill itself is very robustly made. It has a little stand that it can be
fitted into, and also a flexible drive about a foot long. It must be 40
years old now, but is still used regularly, and still works as good as the
day it was new.

I liked Tandy ... :-)

Arfa