Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Windmill[_3_] Windmill[_3_] is offline

Default I broke my laptop

Jeff Liebermann writes:

[...........................] Those models are also
in the class of machines with the defective Nvidia chips.

In what way were they defective? I have a cheap EMachine whose VGA
output failed (the HDMI seemed to still produce some output, but I
can't use that) and a cheap Gateway laptop whose output to its LCD
screen also failed (at about the time I had decided to use it with a
serial link to the EMachine to try to see what was going on.

Both have NVidia chips.

Then I used the laptop with an external VGA monitor and a serial link
to the Emachine. When I made the serial connection, both machines
started to display correctly, and have worked for some months since!

That's enough to make me wonder what is in those NVidia chips besides
VGA circuitry.

Bizarre.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l