Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default O.T. Well, I just had to laugh ...

In message , news.virginmedia.com
writes

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
When did you go to school though. My education was in the fifties and 60s.
We did science properly when you really could burn yourself and blow up
the labs..

I remember Ned Templeman (Chemistry[1]) turning from the fume cupboard,
eyebrows smoking, and asking us with a grin "Alright boys, what did I do
wrong *that* time?"

He expected an educated guess, at the least. A *proper* inspiring teacher,
and inspiring lessons!

Dave H. (the other one)

[1] making nitrates of certain organic alcohols, if I remember right...

A gentleman named Croaker (you guessed it, Froggy) taught me a little
chemistry.

One day, after condensing and collecting the result of burning hydrogen
in air, he asked the class how we should know it was water.

After a pause, a gravelly voice from the back said, suck it and see sir!

--
Tim Lamb