Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Victorian Terraced House - Surver flagged up damp

On 1/6/2013 12:00 PM, harry wrote:
On Jan 6, 9:03 am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
On 1/6/2013 12:51 AM, harry wrote:

On Jan 6, 6:05 am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
On 1/5/2013 12:37 PM, Tim Watts wrote:

On Saturday 05 January 2013 16:59 The Daring Dufas wrote in alt.home.repair:

I have no problem with my U.K. cousins, heck, just because you may do
things differently across the pond doesn't mean you can''t learn
something new and share ideas. The main thing most folks don't
understand about construction standards in Europe is the fact that the
cost of energy is so much higher that more attention to energy saving
is considered more important than it may be here in The U.S.. I would
think the payoff for more insulation and more elaborate weather sealing
plus more expensive multi-pane windows is a lot quicker. ^_^

TDD

Yes indeed :-)

Ironically Building Regulations (aka "Code") in England (jocks and the welsh
are diverging slightly) are still only requiring double glazed windows (well
a U-Value of 1.6J/Km2 which is double glazed with approproate coatings) and
yet will a require a massively better value for the walls. I was horrified
when I did calcs for my house and found out how much was going out the
windows relative to a cavity wall that was retro-filled with fluff.

Waiting for triple glazing to become mandatory :-|

I suppose you can use heavy curtains for slowing heat loss on very cold
nights? Here in Alabamastan we have abundant supplies of natural gas and
electricity prices are lower than a lot of other states but most folks
are still interested in energy saving homes and efficient appliances. ^_^

TDD

How cold does it get there?

It's only 41°F right now but in rare unusually cold weather temps can
dip as low as 10°F which is when folks wind up with burst pipes if the
temperature stays that low for more than a day. Snow is fairly rare
around here too in central Alabamastan. ^_^

TDD

That's about the same as it gets here and we are on the same latitude
as Canada.
Rarely gets hotter than 95degF here either.
All down to the Atlantic currents. (Gulf Stream.)
I have a solar passive house, it has no heating but for a small wood
stove for sunless periods in the evenings.
I have solar panels and hence no heating or net electricity bills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive..._and_landscape

It's amazing how the Gulf Stream keeps the U.K. and Ireland from turning
into a Popsicle. ^_^

TDD