Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default What to do about drywall seams cracking ...AGAIN!

On 1/6/2013 12:08 PM, Tim Watts wrote:

I've used fiber glass tape, looks like screen, on cracks around door
frames that kept coming back. OK today.

+1

This is the only "proper" way to do drywall joints. The tape spreads the
strain over enough area that the plaster/filler on top can tolerate it
without cracking.

Bedded paper tape is the classic and standard way of finishing drywall
seams. The tape does the job you described.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...410343,00.html

The only time I've seen paper tape in use was to joint drywall that was
painted direct without even as much as filling the joints - eg a crap bodge
(cheap 1980's apartment builders in south London). Noone who is sane and/or
not cheap would do it like that now.