Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default I broke my laptop

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 18:50:18 -0000, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

hope this makes things clearer than my description!
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2610/imag0147pk.jpg

That's the video connector. I can't tell if there's more damage until
you remove the motherboard.

Do you think it is worth me trying to fix this? I've written it off at
the
moment.

That depends on how much time you have. I found a source for a
schematic so that should help identify the parts. However, replacing
the video connector and several parts doesn't seem like much fun. A
new motherboard would be easier and probably more productive. There
are two on eBay for $184 and $199. Seems too high a price. Try other
sources.

Both plug and socket seem quite badly damaged, but might still work or I
could possibly hard wire the power connections.

Also the plug? Well, at least that cable can be easily replaced:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150960265547
However, $28 is too much.

I think the prices are adding up to more than what the laptop is
worth.

If I can find out what that melted device is I can replace it if I can
find
one to buy.

Replacing the MB is about the only way you can be sure that something
else isn't blown.

Do you think there will be further damage?

Yes. Worse, it will probably not be easily visible. Offhand, I would
guess(tm) that the 12V or 19V line ended up on the 5V line. Not a
good thing for the rest of the circuitry.

I can buy another keyboard cheap
enough on FleaBay.

Yep. However, it's the other parts that are going to cost. At this
point, the price of repair and possibility of additional damage is too
high for an economical repair. Pull out the hard disk, LCD panel,
CD/DVD, CPU, RAM, wireless, and whatever else looks useful, and
recycle the rest. Also, save the screws. They're quite handy as many
laptops tend to lose their bottom screws from vibration.

I ordered another laptop yesterday, but this one did used to sound
excellent
as a TV / mini hi-fi, and was especially useful for editing the 10 hour
recordings without headphones or external speakers.

I use an external USB sound device. I have several ranging from
cheapo CM108 based dongles, to a Behringer USB something that does 24
bits and 96KHz. The internal sound chips are all too noisy. All my
speakers are external as none of my laptops have decent speakers. I
also stream wireless audio to the hi-fi using A2DP Bluetooth and
Wi-Fi.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855995461

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

OK, so no I'm not going to try and mend this one.
The hard drive I need for archiving, and I've a spare charger now for the
Acer I've just ordered as a replacement.
And all the other bits you mentioned.

Might keep my eye out for more of these though, but without BSOD symptoms.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Aspir...em3 ccddb0e21

btw, I use an external USB 24/96 Tascam soundcard, and would never use
anything internal for anything remotely serious on any laptop other than for
monitoring or use at home.

Thanks for all your help, its been very educational.

Gareth.