Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default I broke my laptop

On 06 Jan 2013 15:22:00 -0400, (Wolfgang Allinger)
wrote:

And I have here in PY a T30 which died one year ago because a bad
(flexing) mobo. The best notebook, I ever owned. So I didn`t burried it

I agree. It's a good machine. I fixed the damage last week with a
$30 eBay replacement used LCD. However, when I powered it up, the
backlighting didn't work. The LCD inverter wasn't putting out any
voltage, so I ordered a spare for $5. However, that didn't fix the
backlighting. The CCFL tube lit up fine running on external power, so
that wasn't the problem. After 4 hrs of futile tinkering, I
discovered that stomping on the case had also caused the lid switch to
stick in the closed position, which turned off the backlighting. Argh.
The T30 is now in a box awaiting shipment to a friend in Portland OR.

It has an exellent 1440x1050 SXGA+ w/o any problems, P4 2GHz, 2GB RAM...
2 docking stations (mini and big), tons of spare parts, 5(?) HDD cages,
5 CMOS-Batteries, nothing broken but dents and scratches, keyboard
(Portugies with some stickers to convert it to German), complete
original WinXP Recovery CD set incl. multilanguage... IBM Service
manuals, some schematics...

Nice. This one has the lesser 1024x768 LCD. I cramed in 3GB of RAM
so it runs Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit rather well.

Also an T22 with boot problems and unstable display control (dead
lamps?)

What color are the lamps? If pink, it's probably a dying lamp. If
white or just dim, the LCD inverter. If flickering, it might be the
LCD inverter, or arcing contacts at the ends of the CCFL lamp. At
$5/ea for the inverters, it's easier to replace than to diagnose.
Also, an external LCD inverter will light up the CCFL tube so you can
tell which is the problem.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270945970265

If you will pay the freight cost, I`ll try to ship it to you.

No thanks. The T30 is already fixed.

Maybe you can transplant some parts to revieve one of the both T30.

The intermittent motherboard is caused by the BGA chips coming
unsoldered from the MB. It can be fixed crudely with a hot air SMT
desoldering station, or more correctly with a BGA reballing kit.
There are numerous online vendors that will do it for you if you
remove the motherboard and put it back together. For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360528752666

Or, you can take your chances with a parts machine:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290827422014
4 machines for $130 looks tempting. However, I'm into faster machines
and those are too old to resell to customers. Those models are also
in the class of machines with the defective Nvidia chips.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558