Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default I broke my laptop

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 17:59:58 -0000, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

Laptop is an Acer Aspire 5739. I found the service manual today but it has
no schematics.

QUANTA ZK6. I couldn't find one in my collection. However, this
might help:
http://www.im0575.com/acer-aspire-5739g-schematic-diagram.html

(best thing about it is the internal speakers - it has a subwoofer "tube"
that actually makes the machine sound really good - Acer don't seem to have
these on their laptops any more)

I recently recycles a similar laptop. Won't boot reliable, won't
charge the battery reliably, won't run any OS reliably, etc. I gave
up, tore it apart for parts, and recycled what was left.

I took out the power adaptor and ran it on its battery, thinking that
keeping a supply of warm air going on might be a good idea.

Oops. That's what killed it.

I heard the fizzing whilst it was running on the battery, and recognised it
as something blowing up. I know those sounds, yuk.
I franctically tried to remove the battery but it was too late by then of
course.

The parts were getting hot even before you heard the fizzing sound.
That's the sound of boiling wine. It was probably too late by then.
If you had pulled the battery immediately, you might have had a
chance. Upending the laptop was probably a good idea, but I suspect
that all it did was spread the wine around.

Incidentally, the sugar in wine probably will make a nice mess of your
keyboard. Wash, rinse, blow dry, air dry, wait, and then try it.

I don't know if the LCD cable got damaged, its wrapped in a braid making a
round cable, not a ribbon, so is not visible.

Then, what's the ribbon connector on the MB that got fried? It's not
the LCD cable. Keyboard? Mouse pad? I can't tell from the photo.

I was wondering today if the overheating connector was unrelated to the
wine - this laptop regularly makes 10 hour long audio recordings in a hot
and sweaty club, the LCD remaining permanently on though dimmed to minimum.
It is also in daily use at home, and serves as my TV so it has had some use
over the 3 years or so of its life.

I run two laptops 24x7 as weather stations on mount tops. No problems
with melting anything.

but yep, don't drink and surf!

Or, get a keyboard cover protector:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=acer+5739+keyboard+cover&_sacat=0&_odk w=acer+5739+keyboard+cover&_osacat=0&_from=R40