Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default I broke my laptop

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 14:49:35 -0000, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

I spilt some wine over my laptop keyboard, but stupidly left it running as I
didn't think it would do much harm, and I was a bit drunk at the time. Doh!

Wine is somewhat conductive. Conductivity testing is used to
determine the Potassium concentration of the wine and therefore its
stability:
http://winechek.com/webfiles/Stabilab%20GW%20article%20Dec%2010.pdf
http://www.mbhes.com/conductivity_measurement.htm
1000 uSiemens/cm isn't very conductive. Compare with sea water, which
is about 50,000 uS/cm. In SI units, 1000 uS/cm would be

Get it really cold, and wine improves superconductors:
http://io9.com/5731129/drunken-scientists-pour-alcohol-on-superconductors-and-make-an-incredible-discovery

Something went "fizz" and I lost the screen, and got lots of furious beeping
going on.

This is a clue that you screwed up. However, it must be contageous.
Last week, I was marching to the bathroom in the middle of the night
and stepped on my Thinkpad T30, cracking the LCD screen.

I took it into work next day and dismantled it to see what was going on.
There was very little wine inside, and none that I could see on the
motherboard itself, but this is what I found:
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2728/imag0141ux.jpg
The connector is the one going to the screen, and as you can see it has got
very hot around the 2 pins on the far right. The melted blob next to C29
used to be a 6 pin IC.

Make and model of laptop? Make and model of LCD panel? I have a few
schematics.

The 6 pin IC is probably a voltage regulator or pass FET for part of a
regulator. The LVDS interface on the panel is well protected and
probably not involved. Here's a typical LCD pinout:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8/Lucky13ESP/LQ10PX22LVDSPinout.jpg
Runs on +5VDC which could do that kind of high current heating damage.

I'd be interested to know how the wine might have caused so much damage, I'm
guessing the 6 pin device might be the power supply for the screen?

Probably, but then shorting the regulator would not cause the ribbon
cable connector to smoke. What happened to the ribbon cable? If
nothing, then the wine shorted the connector, which caused the
regulator to get hot.

Umm... did you remove the laptop battery after the spill?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D