Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default I broke my laptop

I spilt some wine over my laptop keyboard, but stupidly left it running as I
didn't think it would do much harm, and I was a bit drunk at the time. Doh!

Something went "fizz" and I lost the screen, and got lots of furious beeping
going on.

I took it into work next day and dismantled it to see what was going on.
There was very little wine inside, and none that I could see on the
motherboard itself, but this is what I found:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2728/imag0141ux.jpg

The connector is the one going to the screen, and as you can see it has got
very hot around the 2 pins on the far right. The melted blob next to C29
used to be a 6 pin IC.

I'd be interested to know how the wine might have caused so much damage, I'm
guessing the 6 pin device might be the power supply for the screen?

Cheers,

Gareth.