j.duprie

Default wood storage dilemma

Attics are great for lumber storage. For years I kept all of my standing
stock on the second floor of my shop. I had a "hay door" - a door from the
second floor to nothing - I'd park my truck under the hay door, and slide
the lumber onto the floor. Then I'd go upstairs and stack it nicely.

One big advantage: if your attic is anything like normal, ir gets really hot
and dry up there. If you;ve gota saw mill anywhere near you (or a bandsaw
mill guy) you can usually get green wood for cheap (I pay something like
$0.25 BF for 12" wide pine, and about $0.35 for oak). Stack and sticker in
the attic, and let it sit for a year per inch of thickness. Almost free
wood.......

Kepp floor loads in mind though. Wet oak is *heavy*....

--JD